Brain-eating amoeba: What is it, and how do you prevent contracting it? | Fox News
The family of an Ohio teen that died after contracting a brain-eating amoeba during a Whitewater rafting trip last June recently filed a wrongful death lawsuit against a North Carolina recreation facility.
Lauren Seitz died in June 2016 after contracting meningoencephalitis when she was thrown overboard during a rafting trip near Charlotte, according to the New York Daily News.
The deadly infection is caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri.
Swimmers enjoying the summer weather may want to take some extra precautions to prevent contracting the dangerous brain-eating amoeba.
Here’s what you need to know.
What does the brain-eating amoeba do?
A single-celled organism, it “causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which destroys brain tissue and causes swelling and death,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
FAIR USE STATEMENT
This site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The Uncensored Report (“the site”) is making such material available in an effort to further understanding of political, social, economic, and scientific issues, etc. The site asserts this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.